National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) has warned the public against the consumption of Puffer Fish.
Director-General of NAFDAC, Prof. Moji Adeyeye, who raised the alarm in Abuja explained that Pufferfish might contain deadly toxins, which could result to severe illness and even death.
She stressed that the toxin is present in some organs of the fish, such as liver and gonads (ovaries and testes), the skin and intestines.
Adeyeye added that the toxin in the fish cannot be destroyed by freezing and cooking and the removal of the toxic organ might transfer the toxin to the flesh of the fish.
According to her, “Restaurants and fish sellers are warned not to serve or sell this fish also known as puffer, swellfish, fugu, globefish or sea squad among other names, as this will severely endanger public health.
“Due to the potential health hazard associated with the fish, NAFDAC does not allow importation or sale of puffer fish.
“And we hereby alert the general public on dangers of consuming PUFFER FISH,” she added.
She assured that the agency is committed and determined to safeguard the health of the nation.